Friday, January 16, 2009

Honey Chicken Wings

I cook out of desperation. Having relied heavily on my favourite foodstall just 2 mins from my flat all these years, I was devastated when my "personal cook" did not return after the coffee shop was revovated. Only the bad stalls returned. After weeks of paying for bad food, I decided I would cook. And none of that usual boiling, grilling, pre-mix, call my mother for information sort of thing. I would cook using actual recipe from cookbooks.

I have The Eurasian Cookbook by Mary Gomes. Her food looks familiar - like stuff my mother has cooked. I chose Honey Chicken Wings because my children love chicken wings so I can't go very wrong.

Chicken wings with the marinade. What's in the plastic tube is pancake honey. The spoons contain minced garlic and minced ginger.


I was supposed to get coriander leaves but bought Chinese celery instead.


I think that's too much water!


While the chicken was simmering, I could smell the fragrance of the ginger and garlic and it was heavenly.

I was supposed to cook until the gravy had dried up. But I added too much water (I followed the recipe!) and the chicken wings were wetter than desired.

My celery wilted!


Verdict:
My girl said it was too spicy for her but she doesn't mind the chicken.
My boy likes it and said I could cook it again.
My husband who ate the chicken wings the next day likes the fragrance.
I thought the chicken tasted really good. My mother has definitely cooked this recipe before.

Postmortem:
Go easy on the ginger and garlic and less water next time!

No comments: