Monday, February 2, 2009

Char Siew

My son loves his char siew and he lost his beloved char siew stall when the coffee shop was renovated. The char siew stall was ruled by a quarrelsome odd couple who weren't married to each other. The man/woman carving the meat was a large don't mess with me kind of person. Other than the cleaver she was always wielding, she looked like she could punch hard. The man taking care of orders was a nazi who would humiliate you if you didn't pay attention when he pointed at you and shouted, "You, you, what do you want?" And heaven help you if you don't give your order right. The worse part was the couple was frequently in the middle of some verbal war. Each time I survived ordering my son'e char siew rice, no chilli, take away, I felt like I had escaped death.

Since my son was fussy about his char siew - he rejected plenty other stalls, I had to cook it myself. I got the recipe from Mrs's Lee's Cookbook by Mrs Lee Chin Koon.


The marinade is easy enough. Salt, sugar, dark soy sauce, light soy sauce and water.


Looks salty


This is what I use to grill my meat. It's a turbo broiler.


Looks delicious


This is how we eat it - with white rice and boiled bean sprouts.

Verdict:
Everyone loves it. My son said to cook it again.

Postmortem:
Get less fatty meat and use either salt or soy sauce, not both.

No comments: