Friday, February 6, 2009

Chicken Moolie

I am a big fan of chicken curry but since coconut milk, a major ingredient in curry causes me migraine, I only eat it if I cook it myself and substitute it with milk. Recently I tried Chicken Moolie (chicken in spicy coconut gravy) from Mrs's Lee's Cookbook by Mrs Lee Chin Koon. I have become a fan of Mrs Lee as I find her recipes rather easy to follow and her instructions have sufficient information for a beginner cook like me.

I REMPAH (pound together) ginger and shallots. No, just kidding. I don't rempah anything. I use an electric mincer. The fragrance from frying the rempah ingredients is fabulous. My son loves the smell of rempah and would go "Mmmm, what are you cooking?"

I used HL fresh milk. It doesn't have the the richness of coconut milk but I don't know what else I can use.


I used my Scanpan non-stitck wok to cook the curry. I wonder what other people use to cook curry?


Looks oily and spicy.


This is how we eat it. With white rice and stir-fried broccoli.

Verdict:
My kids love it but they said to make it more spicy next time. What?!
My husband said it didn't taste like curry, was too watery and lacked fragrance. Still it was alright.
As for me, I thought it was great.

Postmortem:
Cook it again. Don't withhold the chilli. Add more tomatoes/potatoes to thicken the gravy.

No comments: