Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Semolina Crunchies

My kids love to eat cookies and I spend a fortune on them. I've always wanted to bake cookies but never had the nerve to start. In Secondary school, I was a tomboy and opted for Technical Studies instead of Home Economics. So I never learnt to bake.

Recently I got this cookbook Teatime Delights by Mrs Leong Yee Soo which had a deceptively simple recipe for Semolina Crunchies. The ingredients were simple enough - self-raising flour, salt, icing sugar, semolina, butter, egg and milk. I decided to make my first cookies ever.

My girl measured the ingredients for me while I took care of the mixing. I didn't like rubbing the butter with the flour. It was gross. When I had to roll the dough flat it kept sticking to my hands. I added flour till it finally stopped sticking. That was frustrating. I had watched my sisters bake when I was young. I don't remember this icky sticky part at all.


Finally I baked the dough in my Turbo Broiler. The problem with baking with a broiler is that the heat comes from the top and the cookies get browned outside fast but inside they're still uncooked. I had to bake at a low level in the beginning and at a higher level at the end. That helped to ensure the cookies were cooked evenly.


The cookies turned out pretty good. My kids ate them so fast I had to be quick to photograph them.

Verdict:
My son says they're not as good as Marks n Spencers but please bake them again!
My girl loves them.

Postmortem:
Sift the flour used to add to the dough. And bake more next time.

No comments: