Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Prawn Fritters

My girl and I love prawn fritters and if we could, we would just eat them all day. I told my girl that I would look for the recipe for prawn fritters batter and I found it in Singapore Heritage Food by Sylvia Tan.

I really wanted to get this recipe right because my girl would definitely compare it to her grandmother's prawn fritters.

Okay, cooking prawn fritters is hard work. The frying is hot and scary. I'm so afraid of the oil scalding me. I used my Meyer stainless steel wok to fry the prawns. What a big mistake. The fritters stuck like glue to the bottom of the wok. I had to change to my Scanpan non-stick wok. This is such a great wok. It can do anything. I've had it for 2 years.




Golden prawn fritters


This is how we eat it - brown/white rice, broccoli, chilli/ketchup sauce.

Verdict:
My husband said they were good but they needed to be eaten as part of a big feast of other food. Hmm.
My boy was okay with it. He managed to eat 4 and he doesn't really like prawns.
My girl said they were too salty and told me she preferred her grandmother's prawn fritters.
I did find the fritters too salty but ate too many to care.

Postmortem:
Use very little salt next time.

No comments: